Blog

Adopt Lifestyle Habits That Increase Health & Longevity

In 2004, Dan Buettner, founder of Blue Zones LLC,  teamed up with National Geographic and the world’s best longevity researchers to identify regions, which were called “Blue Zones,” around the world where people live much longer and have a better quality of life. In these “Blue Zones” they found that people reach age 100 at rates 10 times greater than in USA.
Buettner and the National Geographic team found 9 lifestyle characteristics that are responsible for their longevity.
  • Move Naturally – garden, walk, bike…do something you love that involves movement:)
  • Know Your Purpose In Life
  • Kick Back & De-stress
  • Eat Less
  • Eat Less Meat & More Legumes For Protein
  • Drink In Moderation
  • Have Faith – A Sense Of Belonging Matters
  • Put Families First – Keep Aging Elders Nearby
  • Stay Social
Buettner’s subsequent book The Blue Zones was on the New York Times best-seller list. In 2009 Blue Zones partnered with AARP and the United Health Foundation test the 9 principles in Albert Lea, Minnesotta. After a year, participants added an estimated 2.9 years to their average lifespan! And now they are on a mission to build Blue Zones across the US.
Buttoner said that studies show that only 10% of  how long the average person lives is dictated by our genes the other 90% is determined by our lifestyle. So there’s hope for everyone to live long, healthy lives.
Watch Buttoner’s TED Talk below about the Blue Zone story.

X